Proper ice dam removal is a service which is more of an investment rather than a cost. An ice dam can be described as a build-up ice on building roofs which may have adverse effects on the building and properties as a result of water leakage through the ceiling. This has been building maintenance problems on sloping roofs especially in cold climate in New Hampshire & MA. Ice dams usually form on sloping roofs when accumulated snows melt and flow down the roof until the melt-water reaches below freezing temperature air. Immediately the melt-water rises to the freezing air, there is an accumulation of ice which forms the dam, and the aftermath snow-melt will not be able to drain properly through the dam. As a result of this, ice may leak through the roofing material which may severe damage but limited to ceilings, roof structure, insulation, walls, and may also cause injury or damage lives and properties when the ice dam falls off or when attempting to remove the ice dams. Going by the saying “necessity is the modern of invention”.
When ice dams form and have started constituting a nuisance in the house, there is a need to call on professional to remove the ice dams before causing more damage to the building. J&S General Contractor provides this service by using the latest technologically to remove the ice dam timely and at affordable prices. They are using high temperature / low-pressure steamer to remove the ice dam professional without causing additional damage to your roofs.
Identification of Ice Dam
Considering the harm posed by an ice dam, it is important to promptly identify and remove it to protect the roof and contents in the building from potential casualty during the winter and snowy seasons. The slope, style and design orientation of a building are critical to forming of an ice dam on the building. Ice dam formations are not limited to the edges of the roof but also develop in other locations. Prompt identification of ice dam is the first step which will help in its removal to save the building and properties from damaging. In achieving this, the weather must be monitored for easy forecasting of ice dam formations. The below steps should also be followed for identification of ice dam;
- Icicles around the exterior of your house: When icicles are discovered to restrain by the gutters and no water is seen trapped behind them, then the formation of ice dam has taken place. This may cause danger if they fall off. Therefore, it needs to be quickly removed from the exterior of the building.
- Eaves edge: With experience, it was discovered that 80% of the ice dams form at eaves edges of the building. Therefore, attention must always be drawn these sides for possible ice dam formation.
- Openings through the roof: Other places for small ice dam formations are any openings such as vents and pipes. So, don’t overlook such areas.
- Valley areas: Ice dams usually form at Valley areas especially dormers area. However, during ice dam removal, care must be taken not to use chisels or hammers close to valleys as cause damage to the roof.
- The presence of water stains or moisture: Check along the ceiling of exterior walls of the building for water stains or moisture. The presence of water stains may indicate that an ice dam has formed and possible water penetration.
- Heated areas: Occasionally, ice dams occur over unheated areas in the house such as porches and garages. Others are furnace and chimney. Occasionally check those areas.
- Skylight: Ice dam above the skylights are the sneakiest to identify as it is hard to see from the ground. Always look out for ice dam because it often occurs both above and below the skylight.
- Low pitch roofs: Some roofs have low pitches or angles, such roofs are prone to ice dam formations. Ice dam (say 1 or 2”) can cause severe leakage and damage interior part of the building.
- Interior rooms: Large ice dams are often found in the interior rooms with arched ceilings. The worst is the bathrooms.
Removal of Ice Dams during winter
There are three primary methods of removing ice dams during winter. But only one has been discovered to be perfect and safest among the three. The first two be discussed here are effective actions that can be taken by oneself, but it is time-consuming and prone to accident. The following are the three methods to beat ice dams in the winter:
- Use of roof rake: Immediately after a heavy snow, use a unique tool called roof rake to remove the lower part of the snow, at least four feet to prevent the formation of ice dams. A roof rake is a shovel-like shape with a long handle. However, this method cannot ensure total removal of the snow, but it will help in preventing the snow from forming which can lead to damage.
- Calcium chloride or ice melting products: This method entails putting calcium chloride or ice melting products on the ice to remove the ice. However, use of ladder to perform this task is not recommended because of the icy condition to avoid slippery on the roof
- High temperature/low-pressure steamer for proper removal: This is the professional method of removing ice dam from the building. This approach makes use of a special tool called high temperature/low-pressure steamer, not power washer. There are professional companies who are engaged in getting the job done. The best of them is J&S General Contractor. When there is a huge amount of snow or ice dam build-up on your roof, or you don’t have the time to try or don’t want to undergo the stress involve in removing the ice dams, just call the professional and prevent impending damage to your house.
Why Choosing J&S General Contractor?
When it comes to affordable and professional ice dam steam removal, J&S General Contractor has been outstanding in rendering theses services with following reasons:
- J&S General Contractor has in its group skilled and reputable hands to offer this service.
- Dedicated and hardworking teams
- Quick response to distress calls
- Low-priced and excellent service deliveries.
- High-performance tools to remove the disturbing ice dams
- Follow-up team to ensure quality services
- Flexible to your wishes
- Established outcomes oriented
- Reliable customer services
It is advisable to minimize the risk and damage that may arise from ice dams formation during winter by quickly identify ice dam formations and applying the best method that is safe and reliable to rescue the situation. Many factors are contributing to ice dam formation such as air leaks, weather, ventilation, home architecture, insulation and much more; however, effort must be made to prevent ice dam formation in the building. Consequently, J&S General Contractor has been providing excellent and affordable ice dam removal services to the New Hampshire and its environs with their quick response to distress calls for immediate delivery. Contact them at http://www.granitestatecontractor.com/ . HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!